This carrot cake I made using home made walnut flour and date sirup as sweetening. It is deep in color and naturally moist in texture. I learned to bake American when I worked for a bagel bakery in Prague in the late nineties, so I know how the composition and consistency of a good carrot cake should be quite well.
However, I was surprised at how amazing the results turned out when I test-baked one without wheat flour or any other starchy flour. I used pure walnut flour instead of wheat flour and made only small adjustments to the proportions of the other ingredients.
The cake does not loose it’s moisture over time, and lasts up to a week in the refrigerator. The frosting, which is usually made from cream cheese and sugar, I made using coconut cream, flavored with stevia and orange zest.
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml canola oil
- 100 ml date syrup or honey
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 220 g of walnut flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 80 g dried fruit (optional)
- 50g chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 cup coconut cream (ie from 1-2 packs coconut milk depending on what kind you use)
- 1 tbsp stevia powder
- 1 ½ tsp orange zest
- Grind the nuts in a food processor. Let it run until the nuts are ground to a fine meal. It should be the consistency of almond flour.
- Grate the carrots. Beat eggs and add Date syrup, shredded carrots and lemon juice.
- Mix the walnut flour, baking soda, salt and spices and add to the egg and carrot mixture.
- Grease a baking pan with either canola oil or coconut oil and dust it with walnut flour or shredded coconut.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake at 175 degrees C, for about 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the frosting. Use coconut milk or extra creamy coconut milk and pour off all the coconut water (the clear runny liquid) and use only the white solid, creamy coconut milk. Whip it chilled with stevia and orange zest.
- The cake is done when it is firm in the center. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Before serving: spread the cake with frosting.