Sponge cake with whipped cream and strawberries is very popular in Sweden, especially in the summer with fresh Swedish strawbwrries. Traditionally it’s made for special occasions such as the midsummer celebration and birthdays.
It’s simple to make but it requires a lot of beating and a few different steps that are well worth it…
This cake is incredibly moist and with rich, clean flavours from the ground almonds, dairy free lemon curd (made with honey, coconut oil), vanilla, coconut cream, and strawberries … the whole thing flour, milk and sugar free as usual.
Make it low carb-friendly by replacing the honey and agave with stevia and replace the lemon curd with mashed strawberries or bananas.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 150 ml / 0.6 cups of honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 180 g coconut oil or butter
- 450 ml / 1.9 cups almond flour
- 100-150 ml lemon curd or to taste
- about 2 cups coconut cream (ie, the white solid in a jar of coconut milk that has separated from the coconut water.
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- About 4 cups of strawberries
- Make lemon curd if you have not already prepared it in advance. Look up a recipe and replace butter with ghee or coconut oil. Replace sugar with agave and decrese the amount (measurement of sugar) with about ¼.
- Let the lemon curd cool until room temperature, then in the fridge or freezer to allow it to solidify.
- Preheat the oven to 175 ° C
- Melt the coconut oil or butter and allow to cool slightly.
- Grease a large spring-tin with either coconut oil, butter or ghee and dust the insides of the tin with almond flour or fine coconut flakes.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until they are stiff but not “dry”. If you turn the bowl upside down the whites should be stiff enough to not drip.
- Place the egg yolks in a separate bowl with honey or agave and whisk with an electric mixer (it works to use the same whisk as for the whites without washing it) for 2-3 minutes or until it’s reached a thick and creamy consistency. The whisk should leave ribbon-like trails when the whisks are lifted.
- Pour in the melted cookin fat into the egg yolk mix and stir gently until it’s well combined.
- Add half the amount of the egg whites into egg yolk-mix and stir gently. Then add a little egg white at a time and gently fold it into the batter to keep as much air as possible.
- Add the almond flour and stir gently.
- Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes until the cake is golden brown until risen and the top feels firm in the middle. Keep track towadrs the end of the baking time so it doesn’t go too brown too quickly, if it starts – cover with tin foil towards the end of the baking.
- Remove the cake from the oven when fully baked and let it cool completely.
- Whip the coconut cream with the vanilla powder.
- Cut the cooled cake base in half and spread lemon curd over the surface of the lower half. If you want you can slice strawberries thinly and spread out on top of the lemon curd.
- Add back the top sponge layer and cover the surface with coconut cream.
- Decorate with lots of strawberries.