It is very easy to make your own almond cream or almond milk. This recipe for almond cream is the base for making your own almond milk. For almond milk you only use a larger amount of water and strain the mixture to get all the solids out.
Soaked almonds are soft and can be mixed either a blender or a food processor but the result is creamier and smoother with a more powerful food processor.
You can among other thing serve it with fruit salad, for desserts or even as breakfast.
The reason for soaking the almonds is to get a creamier texture but also maximize all the health benefits. Soaking the almonds neutralizes the phytates (enzyme inhibitors) and releases nutrients. Even the absorption in the stomach gets better after soaking as the almonds will be much easier to digest.
- 200 g almonds
- 3/4 cup water or coconut water
- 2-4 dates or about 2 tablespoons agave (optional)
- 1 pinch of vanilla powder (optional)
- Soak almonds overnight.
- Rinse the almonds and peel (the same technique as with blanched almonds) if you want a whiter cream.
- Mix the almonds with sweetening and water (start with a smaller amount) for a few minutes in a blender or food processor. Scrape down the sides of the blender a few times if necessary. Add more water towards the end to get desired consistency.
- If you are making almond milk, add a larger amount of water (about 2-3 cups) and strain the mix through a fine sieve or strainer.