Apple season is here and it’s time to bake! When there is such an abundance of apples at hand, you want recipes for cakes and desserts that you can eat a lot of and often, right? No one will know this cake isn’t baked using any flour, milk and sugar. It’s moist and fluffy at the same time. Just the way you want your cakes to be!
Flavor the cake mix with anything you choose like orange zest, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom. I chose to flavor this one with coffee and cinnamon for a deep and dark tone.
The base for the cake mix really only consists of three ingredients: eggs, almond flour and honey or agave. What makes the texture and taste so great without any flour, butter or any other added fat, is the technique of whisking the egg whites and yolks separately and properly.
(Note: If you are allergic to almonds, you can substitute with ground coconut flakes (unsweetened) and 1 teaspoon of psyllium husk).
- 6 eggs, separated
- 100 ml honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 cups of almond flour or /ground coconut flakes *** + 1 teaspoon of psyllium husk (Fiberhusk).
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 apples
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tbsp instant coffee +4 tbsp warm water or 1 double espresso (optional)
- 1 handful of raisins (optional)
- 1 handful of chopped walnuts
- *** You “grind” coconut flakes by running them in a food processor for about 2-3 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- Grease a large spring-tin with either coconut oil or butter and dust the inside with almond flour or coconut flakes.
- If you want to decorate the bottom of the cake with apple slices as in the images: slice about 5-6 slices from one of the apples. Dip one side of each slice of apple in honey and place it at the bottom of the cake pan in a pattern with the honey coated side down.
- Cut the rest of the apples into small pieces (about 1/2-cm cubes are a good size I think)
- Turn the apple pieces in cinnamon.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl together with half the amount of the honey or agave and whisk until they are stiff but not “dry”.
- Place the egg yolks in a separate bowl with the rest of the honey or agave and whisk hard with electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes or until a thick and creamy consistency. The whisk should leave ribbon-like trails when the beaters are lifted.
- Add the pieces of apple, coffee, walnuts and raisins to the egg yolk-mix and combine well.
- Add half the amount of the egg whites into egg yolk-mix and stir gently. Then add a little egg white fluff into the mix a time and fold it very gently into the batter so leave as much air as possible in the batter.
- Add the almond flour and and baking powder and stir gently.
- Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes until golden and the middle has lifted slightly.
- Let it cool completely.
- Remove the edges and carefully cut with a knife along the bottom of the spring tin to loosen the cake from the bottom and keep the apple slices intact. Replace the edge of the tin and flip the cake upside down on a serving platter.