These yummy muffins came about when I wanted to find an alternative to almond flour in my recipes so that even those allergic to nuts and almonds can make them. Here I have used ground coconut flakes and a small amount of psyllium husk in place of almond flour and it works perfectly fine! It even works to exclude psyllium husk and still get a good texture. Add, in that case, an extra 5-6 tbsp of coconut.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 100 ml honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 cups of Ground coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon of psyllium husk
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- You “grind” coconut flakes by running them in a food processor for about 2-3 minutes.
- Grease a large muffin-tin with either coconut oil or butter and dust the inside with coconut flakes.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl together with half the amount of the honey or agave and whisk until they are stiff but not “dry”.
- Place the egg yolks in a separate bowl with the rest of the honey or agave and vanilla powder and whisk hard with an electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes or until a thick and creamy consistency. The whisk should leave ribbon-like trails when the beaters are lifted.
- Melt the coconut oil and add to the egg yolk mix while stirring.
- Add half the amount of the egg whites into egg yolk-mix and gently combine. Then add a little egg white fluff into the mix at a time and fold it very gently into the batter so as to keep as much air as possible in the batter.
- Add the ground coconut and baking powder and pyllium hust and stir gently.
- Add the frozen blueberries and combine into the mix.
- Fill the muffin cups almost up to the edge.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until golden.